Museum Home Page
Evergreen was established in 1898 by local land owners Jim Bradford and
J.H. Kipp. When they asked the U.S. Postal Service to open a post office
there, they were told the name of Evergreen was already taken. Summer
residents were asked to create a new name. Kemah, purportedly an Indian
word meaning “facing the wind,” was chosen.
||One of the earliest and most significant businesses operating in Kemah
was Platzer’s Boatyard that built and repaired boats. Most every family
on the bay used boats for transportation, and many docked at Kemah
because the water was deeper than other areas along the bay shore.
Additionally, the shell reef extending from the Kemah shoreline was the
source for shell used to pave many roads throughout the county.
Source: From Arrows to Astronauts: A Short History of the Communities
Surrounding Clear Creek by Delores Kenyon
and Frank Scholt crossing a bridge in Kemah, n.d.
Courtesy of the Kemah Historical