Welcome to Galveston County Historical Museum
Museum Home Page

Museum Home Page  

Museum History  

Curator's Corner  

Education

Workshop  

Press Room  

Community Histories  

Galveston County  Historical Commission  

Contact Us  

114632 Visitors  

Caplen
 
The archeological record indicates this area was favored by Native Americans living on the peninsula. Caplen was named for John Caplen who surveyed the area in 1909. Locals occupying the area were involved in ranching, fishing, and hunting. At one time, muskrats could be trapped in the marshes and sold for their hides. During the summer months, the community’s population grew significantly. Many residents from nearby East Texas counties built resort homes there, and two hotels served guests. After the 1915 hurricane, the railroad was relocated and some homes were not rebuilt, but the full-time residents of Caplen remained.
  On the beach in Caplan, 1920s
From the Melanie Wiggins Collection