Museum Home Page
Clifton-by-the-Sea was established in 1910 by local landowners G.C.
Perkins and W.Y. Fuqua. It was developed as a bayside resort with parks,
hotels, summer homes, a bathhouse, and a large pier with a pavilion.
Houston families were attracted to the tranquil environment with fresh
sea breezes, fishing, swimming, and orchestral concerts.
||Both the 1915 and 1943 hurricanes caused major damage to the area, and
although some resort amenities were rebuilt, the area never fully
recovered. After World War II this area expanded with permanent homes
for people employed at the nearby petrochemical plants. By 1948, the
influx of new residents made it necessary to establish a new post
office. However, the U.S. Postal Service informed the residents that the
name Clifton-by-the-Sea was too long, and they could not shorten it to
Clifton because there was already a Texas town with that name. So,
residents agreed to be called Bay Cliff, as it was the name of the
subdivision at the center of business. Everyone was very surprised to
see that the name was misspelled on the postal paperwork!
at Bacliff (Clifton-by-the-Sea)
Courtesy of Alecya Gallaway